Dr Peter Vaughan believes that as a professional person, and as an employer, that there are important social responsibilities that should be fulfilled.
Responsibility to the patients - Dr Peter Vaughan takes his responsibility to his patients very seriously. He maintains his professional integrity through:
- Providing all treatment plans in writing. The treatment plans specify the problems present, the treatment options, and any considerations that may affect treatment.
- Providing a written guarantee with the majority of our treatments.
Responsibility to the employees of the practice - Dr Peter Vaughan employs 14 team members in his practice. The working conditions are such that Sandy has been here for 23 years, Susana for 23 years, Karen for 23 years, Barb for 17 years, Kelly and Fiona for 16 years each, and Jackie for 5 years. We have recently had changes to our surgery staff (Alicia and Kerry have come on board) and as a result we expanded our services. Karen has also joined our team, and works on the reception desk. The extended employment of our team members is evidence of the favourable work environment. The team's collective knowledge base ensures a quality service to patients and parents. You can meet The Orthodontic Team here.
Responsibility to the community - Dr Peter Vaughan along with his wife Karen assist the community in many ways, including:
- They work as volunteers for a number of charities and provide discounted or sometimes free orthodontic care to a number of patients who would otherwise never be able to afford orthodontic care.
- They donate to many charities and belong to the Foundation Circle of the Hunter Medical Research Institute. Dr Peter Vaughan initiated a research program studying Anorexia Nervosa. Anorexia Nervosa was chosen as a number of his patients have experienced this illness, it is often life threatening, and yet remains is poorly understood.
- Peter and Karen have made significant contributions to support research into Mental Health – specifically the area of depression, as this affects both young and old.
- Peter has employed a number of challenged young people. One of these employees has a form of autism. By finding work that this person was capable of performing, in close conjunction with the former Department of Social Security, this employee has managed to develop and mature so that she is capable of living an independent life. Her parents no longer have to worry about the day when they will no longer be able to help her.
Responsibility to the Dental Profession - Peter also takes his responsibility to the dental profession seriously. This is demonstrated by his commitment to:
- Providing orthodontic care that is of the highest standard and quality.
- Always being honest with patients, especially when treatment is not required, or when multiple treatment options are available.
- Being honest when requested to act as an expert witness. Dr Vaughan believes that it is more important that the profession establishes a competency standard, and members of his profession reach this standard. He believes all treatment should exceed an "average" quality.
- Ensuring practice staff are continually updating their professional knowledge with ongoing training to be up to date with new equipment, procedures and standards.